I get asked this question all the time. The answer is simple: it is easier to manage.
But let me break it down for you in the following points:
1) When I wear my own hair out, I have to plait it or twist it every night, and then unravel it and style it every morning for it to look half decent. So it takes me about 30-45 mins longer to get ready in the morning and every night I have to repeat the plaiting / twisting. When I don’t do this routine at night, my hair would look like a hot mess the next day!
2) I can’t wear my hair out in an afro every day for longer than a week – regardless of whether it is well treated and conditioned, by day 5 my hair starts looking dull and the ends become brittle due to the high manipulation on a daily basis. This often then leads to breakage.
3) I use a lot more products when my hair is loose, I have to condition it more often, somehow I tend to apply a lot more leave-in conditioners, moisturizers, gels, and they all tend to run out very quickly when I use them very often.
4) Crochet braids are a great protective style: I can keep them in for weeks and still be able to moisturise my scalp and hair while I wear the style.
5) Crochet braids provide many different style options: I get to wear different colours, different textures, different lengths without affecting my own hair.
6) Crochet braids can look like my own hair! I think this is the #1 reason why I love crochet braids. The texture of the Marley Hair / Kinky braids is so close to my natural hair, that it’s sometimes hard for people to actually tell it’s not fake.
These are just my views, I’m not saying that crochet braids work for everybody but it definitely works for me.